This article is incomplete
This article is incomplete & needs to be reviewed. You can help by creating a pull request.
Receive voice prompts while navigating: turn-by-turn instructions, alerts, and additional information.
How to use
Voice navigation helps you drive your vehicle in the right direction without distracting you from the road. It is also convenient for walking or hiking.
- Listen to voice prompts while navigating.
- You can listen to the voice prompts while the device screen is On or Off.
- If you missed a voice prompt, you can listen to it again by tapping the needed arrow in the navigation.
- Background navigation - you can use the device and listen to prompts in the background at the same time.
Settings of voice prompts
You can enable voice prompts in the Navigation section by tapping on Settings, and also turn them on and configure them in the Main menu section of the selected profile.
Voice prompt settings can be global and applied to all profiles.
Menu → Configure profile → Navigation settings → Voice prompts
Menu → Settings → App profiles → Settings → Navigation settings → Voice prompts
- Language - select your preferred language and voice type.
- Announce - allows to voice the following types of prompts:
- Street names (TTS).
- Exit number.
- Traffic warnings.
- Pedestrian crosswalks.
- Speed cameras.
You can enable the Alert widget for this category for more convenient use of voice prompts.
- User point:
- Track waypoints.
- Nearby Favorites.
- Nearby POI.
- Speed limit:
- Announce when exceeded - allows you to announce when you exceed the allowed speed limit.
- Speed limit tolerance (from -10 km/h to 20 km/h) - select the speed limit above which you will receive a voice warning.
- Announce GPS signal loss and recovery.
- Announce route recalculation.
- Repeat navigation instructions - allows you to repeat the navigation instructions at regular intervals from 1 min to 30 min) or manually only (tap arrow).
- Announcement time.
- Voice guidance output - allows you to select the loudspeaker for voice prompts: Audio multimedia/navigation, Audio notification, and Audio phone call (to interrupt Bluetooth car stereos).
- Pause music - voice prompts stop music playback for a while.
Speed cameras alerts in some countries is prohibited by the law.
The announcement time of the different voice prompts depends on the type of prompt, the current navigation speed and the default navigation speed.
Download voice prompts
You can download voice prompts from two different sets from the list.
- The first type, these are the recommended ones:
Menu → Download maps → Other → Voice prompts (TTS, preferred)
- The second type is recorded voice prompts, with an incomplete set of features:
Menu → Download maps → Voice prompts (recorded, limited features)
If you choose TTS voice, you need to have an appropriate text-to-speech engine in your operating system. They are partly included in Android, and iOS or can be installed separately. Go to the settings of your Android (device), find the section Language and keyboard, Text-to-speech or similar. Select or install the engine, then also set up support for the language you want, this can be an additional setting or a small download.
Check if your Android TTS is working properly by using the "Listen to example" or a similar test button. You can also check if OsmAnd voice prompts are selected correctly, to do this go to Settings → Plugins → OsmAnd development → Test voice prompts (to see this setting, the OsmAnd development plugin must be activated).