Uploading maps to the OsmAnd app is a key step to ensure smooth operation and use of offline navigation. Without offline maps, the app cannot function fully. Downloading maps gives you access to maps of different regions, allowing you to navigate without an Internet connection.
You have two main ways to download maps: 1) view the list of regions in the main menu or 2) select the desired region directly on the map. This gives you the flexibility to select the regions you want and ensures that the maps will fit your plans.
Although OsmAnd supports both Vector and Raster, it is strongly recommended to start working with vector maps offline. This type of maps ensures reliable operation of all key functions of the application, including Search, Navigation, and Context menu. This is especially important if your travels include trips to remote locations or places with limited internet access.
To start downloading maps, go to the main menu Download maps (Android) / Maps & Resources (iOS). There you can select the maps you need for offline navigation.
When you first launch the app, you will be prompted to download a map based on your current online location, or you can skip this step. This is convenient, as you immediately get access to local maps corresponding to your location.
If you are using a VPN, OsmAnd can offer you a regional map, giving you the option to choose a different map than your actual geography.
It is important to note that you can skip the download step if you already have previous OsmAnd Cloud settings. This is convenient if you have reinstalled the application or want to restore the previous user experience without having to re-select regions and settings.
Menu → Download maps → Downloads
Menu → Maps & Resources
- Refresh ⟳. Checks for available map updates on OsmAnd servers.
- Search 🔍. Find a region by name or the major cities in it.
Memory info and map counter
- Device memory. Show available memory to be used on the device.
- Map counter (Free version). Display how many Free map downloads left.
- Downloads (Android)/ Worldwide (iOS). Browse and download maps split by continents / countries / regions / types.
- Local. Manage already downloaded maps.
- Updates. Check and download monthly map updates.
- OsmAnd Live. Configure hourly map updates for certain regions.
To import online map sources, you can tap the OSF file of an app profile in storage, messenger, or mail, select the OsmAnd app to open, and select the data to import. Read more here.
OsmAnd has a small world map built in. You do not need to download large maps of any region if you are not going to use them. If you need a map covering the whole planet, including major cities, roads and rivers, you can download the Detailed World Map.
Select on World Map
On the small screen, the map selected for downloading will be highlighted in yellow, maps that have already been downloaded will be highlighted in green, and deactivated maps will be highlighted in orange. Deactivated maps are bypassed to speed up the program in case you have a lot of loaded maps.
The World Maps section provides access to various world maps that complement the functionality of the app.
- World Altitude Correction (Android only). Improves navigation accuracy, especially in mountainous terrain.
- World overview map. Provides an extensive overview of the earth's surface, useful for long-term route planning and casual exploration.
- All world (Weather forecast). Allows you to download a map with weather information.
You can find and download a map using the search function.
Simply enter the name of the country or region and you will see the corresponding map file in the list that appears. Click on the country name and start the download process from the Map Context menu.