This plugin is available only for the Android version of the OsmAnd app. The iOS Version uses the basic accessibility features of the system.
The Accessibility plugin allows you to use Accessibility Android features that are in your device's system settings directly in the OsmAnd app.
Makes device accessibility features directly available in OsmAnd. The plugin allows blind and visually impaired people to take full advantage of the OsmAnd app's features. Accessibility plugin makes it easy to set speech speed for text pronunciation, customize navigation, zoom controls, and automatic announcements. Learn more about Android accessibility features.
How to use (Android)
For the plugin to work, you need to go to Accessibility from the settings item on the app screen, or go directly through the system settings of the device, and select the required settings. To set individual parameters, see here.
After enabling the plugin and enabling the Android Accessibility settings for your device, the map's reaction to gestures will be changed. The Android’s TalkBack screen reader will tell you in which situations to apply which gesture. The full list of TalkBack gestures can be viewed here. All of the OsmAnd gestures that are used to interact with the maps built into the app will also be available.
All sound and haptic functions The OsmAnd app accessibility plugin remain running in the background when the screen is turned off or locked.
How to use (iOS)
The iOS version of the OsmAnd app does not include an Accessibility plugin. However, the accessibility settings configured on your device will also work in the app.
- You can read general information about Vision Accessibility iOS features here.
- On the iOS system, you can use a VoiceOver gesture-based screen reader. For a full list of VoiceOver gestures on iPhone, click here. To see lists of gestures and settings for other devices, follow this link.
- All of the OsmAnd gestures that are used to interact with the maps built into the app will also be available.
To activate device's accessibility features in OsmAnd, you need to make the following settings:
- Enable the Accessibility plugin in the Plugins section of the Main menu.
- Turn on accessibility mode on the Android system.
- Make the necessary settings in the plugin's Settings menu.
Go to the Accessibility plugin settings, follow this path:
Menu → Plugins → Accessibility → Settings
The Accessibility plugin settings allow you to configure the application in accordance to your individual needs. All settings relate to the navigation process and are set individually for each profile.
- Accessibility Mode. Allows you to enable special tools that help people with disabilities interact with the OsmAnd app. There are three modes: On - turns on the built-in OsmAnd features, Off - turns off all plugin features, and According to the Android system settings - turns on Android system settings.
- Speech rate. Allows you to adjust the speech rate of the text-to-speech, ranging from 50% to 200%.
- Smart autoannounce. If this setting is enabled, you will receive voice announcements when you deviate from the set track.
- Autoannounce period. This is an automatic announcement of the direction and distance to your destination. You can select a minimal time between announcements, ranging from 5 seconds to 5 minutes.
- Direction style. Allows you to choose how the OsmAnd app will notify you about directions. Sidewise - indicates the direction to the sides of the world (8 directions), Clockwise - indicates directions oriented to the clock face (12 directions).
- Audio directions. Provides feedback when navigating by indicating the direction to the target point with sound.
- Haptic directions. This setting provides haptic feedback when navigating. The vibration indicates the direction to the target point and deviations from the path.